Curator – Job Description
Salary: £12 an hour (=£9360)
Hours: 15 hours – flexible hours to be agreed
Contract type: Fixed term for 12 months
Location: Brixham Heritage Museum, The Old Police Station, New Road, Brixham, TQ5 8LZ.
About the museum
Brixham Heritage Museum has been in existence for over 60 years and our purpose is both to discover more about the fascinating and diverse history that created Brixham, as well as preserve and display the objects and collections for future generations to enjoy. The museum serves both the educational and recreational needs of the local community and is a popular tourist attraction.
The museum is a registered charity, an accredited museum, a member of Torbay Museum Group, a member of English Riviera Unesco Global Geopark Management Group and a service point for the Devon Records Office.
About the role
The museum is looking for a committed, confident curator with experience to manage and develop the collections and create inclusive displays for visitors of all ages, working on events and education activities in partnership with the community, as well as dealing with collection enquiries and liaising with other organisations.
The Curator will take overall responsibility for maintaining and developing a collection of objects in the museum. This will include dealing with the acquisition, care, display and interpretation of items with the aim of informing and educating the public. The curator will lead on developing key stories around the history of Brixham, told through objects from the collection.
Other activities include social media, publicity, fundraising, preparing budgets and being involved in educational activities. The Curator will also be expected to build strong relationships with other museums and heritage organisations in the area.
Duties and responsibilities
• responsible for the museum collections and displays
• responsible to the museum Trustees, reporting on curatorial matters and advice
• work to museum accreditation standards to develop and organise the collections including documentation and management, acquisition and disposal of items, care, conservation and management of environmental conditions
• identify and record items in the collections, review and accession items offered for donation, organise loans from and to other organisations
• work with volunteers to research and develop accessible and engaging displays
• engage with local schools and visitors to provide activities and educational events
• answer enquiries from researchers and the public
• assist with planning, forecasting and budget reporting
• assist with grant fund writing
• collaborate and network with other institutions, museums, heritage organisation and the local community
• research, compile and prepare information for publication including content for the website
• communicate information from the Arts Council, South West Museums Federation and Torbay Culture
• work with the Administrator on day-to-day operations including publicity
Preferably experience of curatorial work in a museum setting or other comparable experience
The curator will need to demonstrate a creative and pro-active approach to disseminating the stories of Brixham and its residents and be confident in building relationships with a variety of organisations and the community.
• a commitment to the work of the museum and its values: welcoming, collaborative, enterprising and forward looking
• accuracy and attention to detail
• communication skills, both written and oral
• ICT skills in Microsoft Office including Word, Excel and Outlook together with some knowledge and experience of collections management databases
• organisation, planning and administration skills
• research and report writing skills
• teamwork skills and ability to build and develop relationships
• a flexible approach to work
• application: please send a CV and covering letter to email@example.com
• closing: Sunday 20-03-2022
• interviews: week beginning 28-03-2022
• job description: bhm_curator_job_description_202202.pdf